Friday, May 1, 2009

EEG

My appointment went well this morning. They scheduled me for a sleep study on May 17th. I will get there at 8pm and sleep that night there. When I get up, if they've discovered it's sleep apnea then I'll get educated on that and go home. If it's not, they will have me stay there for the entire day on the 18th and take naps. Every two hours they will give me 20 minutes to see if I can fall asleep. There will be 4 or 5 naps, and apparently narcoleptics fall asleep at least for 3 of these naps. Narcolepsy is what this dr was aiming towards when discussing my symptoms. He said stress and hormones can play a role in sleep disturbances but usually it is causing you to wake up, have insomnia, etc and that's why you're tired the next day. Since I am asleep for at least 8 hours a night, he said I should not be that tired then the next day. Narcolepsy is not something I would be happy to be diagnosed with, as there is really not much they can do to help other then give you drugs that are similar to "speed" he was explaining. I guess we'll see how it all turns out.
I made it to Belle's appointment right on time and did NOT get lost! Getting there OR going home. I was impressed with myself - first time ever downtown and not getting lost at least one way. Belle was as perfect as could possibly be. She gave her a bunch of toys to play with and started putting goop all over her head. The only time Belle cried was when putting the little electrode things on her head one time - she musta pushed a little harder. But she calmed right down and played the whole time. The lady wrapped her head very well with bandages to keep her from pulling them out, but she didn't touch her head once! She loves wearing hats and things on her head, so this helped I think. I just said wow what a nice hat and she didn't even bother with it. We watched a bit of the Wiggles and Dora on TV and played with some toys. They had the strobe light thingy flashing in front of us for a few minutes - which bothered me way more then Belle. Then we were done - about 45 minutes total. We could hear back from the Dr tomorrow if he works ( I guess he works some Saturdays) or by Monday at least. I gave the lady the cd of videos I made too, so hopefully we'll get somewhere with this.
Thanks to Mom and Dad and Jose for running the daycare while I was gone today. They did great and the kids loved having them here. I know the three of them are looking forward to my helper starting so they don't have to cover for me! Especially Jose since it's so hard for him to be gone from work and not get grief or have to make up for it - even though he works way more then 40 hours anyway. Can you tell Jose's work is a source of tension for me?? :)
Okay, off to my weekend! Yay!!


Belle's hair can get in a full pony tail now!

Pretty cute

Belle's bandana after the EEG

Goopy hair after the EEG

1 comment:

Matt and Kristi said...

Hi! Sorry we didn't comment yet on the other post with the videos. Here are our thoughts: if we didn't know that there were other concerns about Belle, we probably wouldn't have noticed the strange facial expressions. However, since there are concerns about her development and neurological status, we think it is worthwhile having it checked out. You are right that a mother's intuition should usually not be ignored. God gave us moms that gut feeling for a reason! Keep us up to date on the results when you hear back.