So I've gotten a few questions about what my job will be. The YMCA stands for young men's christian association. The YWCA is an organization within it. W= women's instead of men's. It's mission statement is eliminating racism and empowering women. Each facility has similar things to offer. Programs, work out facilities, pools, gyms, daycare centers, etc. Men are allowed at them and women are allowed at the YMCA. I will be teaching within the daycare center at the downtown location. http://www.ywca-minneapolis.org/childcare/index.asp is the website to the minneapolis child care site. You can also find information on the facility as a whole on there too. The daycare center itself has like 6 classrooms for infants through school age.
For my room in particular, I will have a classroom of 15 toddlers, ages 16 months to 32 months. I will be teaching as well as supervising 3-4 staff members. I teach, hire and train staff, maintain paperwork, curriculum and enrollment etc. for the room. I love the diversity of the class I'll be with. For my career so far the children have been predominately white, and in my new class they are the minority. This goes for the staff as well. Hope that helps. I love the questions cause it gets me that much more excited. The drive on the other hand... it's a good commute. If I end up staying here for a long period - which I plan to, we may have to move. Right now I'll be driving about 45 minutes parking my car and taking the bus for another 15-20 minutes into downtown (park and ride program). Parking down there is insane and it's much more convenient and cheaper to take the bus. They drop me off right on the corner of where I work. Parking can be $100 a month or more otherwise. I wouldn't normally take that on, but the job is that worth it.
9 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment