Friday, June 25, 2010

My two-miracle day!

THIS IS A STORY I WROTE 5 YEARS AGO. WEDNESDAY MARKED THE ANNIVERSARY AND I THOUGHT I'D SHARE ONCE AGAIN.

God shows himself to us in many different ways. It’s something we all know and may have experienced at some point in our lives, but either look over it as a coincidence or it gets forgotten in our every day lives. I have a story to share that I hope no one will forget; I know I won’t. God showed himself to me in my “two-miracle day.”

On June 23, 2005 I went in to the hospital to be induced. My husband and I have a 3 year old daughter and were about to meet our second child in a few hours. The induction went well, everything progressed the way it was supposed to and at 3:02 pm we met our first miracle of the day - Isaiah Michael Sturgeon. He was 8 pounds, 3 ounces and 20 ½ inches. He is absolutely beautiful! We experienced a reminder of God’s wonderful ways. The birth of a child brings His presence to a reality and your ultimate joy and thankfulness to Him overflows.

We spent the day with visitors and just enjoying finally holding what I carried inside me for 9 months. My husband was filled with so much love for his son that he was glowing, as was I. He held him more then anyone else that day, and the camera was barely put down. Visiting hours were over at 9 pm, and we spent some quiet time together, just Daddy, Mommy, and Isaiah. We talked about the day and our overwhelming feelings of love for each other and our children. 10:00 came around and my husband was feeling his hunger pains from not eating all day. He decided to call it a day and head home to eat and get a good nights rest so he could come back and see more visitors and spend the day with us. After he left I spent some alone time with Isaiah. I talked to him about how glad I was to see him and hold him. I said a prayer to God, thanking him for my son and that everything went as well as it did. I then got pretty sleepy and decided to bring him to the nursery so I could get a good nights rest as well.

At 11:20pm, the phone rang. I had been asleep for maybe 20 minutes. I answer it, in my daze of sleepiness, and I hear my husband’s voice. He’s saying, “Jes, Jes, something bad’s happened!” I answered with, “What? What do you mean?” My mind was still waking up and trying to comprehend what he was saying. He continued to say something about our daughter Audri. I started crying, thinking, what happened to Audri? He was talking so fast and said, “I was in an accident, the car’s totaled, I think I broke my shoulder or collar bone!” I was crying pretty hard at this point and he said, “I’m ok, I’m ok. I was on my way to get Audri because she wouldn’t sleep at your sisters. There was a raccoon in the road. I hit the brakes to give it a chance to move; my wheel hit the gravel and I went in the ditch.” This was basically the end of the conversation, I tried to get him to talk more and he was not answering me. He hung up and I sat, still trying to fully comprehend what was going on. I called my sister, who told me she talked to the man who found him and the man said he doesn’t even know how my husband is alive. He had called an ambulance and they were on their way.

I then realized that if he’s going to be coming here by ambulance, then I have to find a way to get to him. I had just had a baby 8 hours ago, were they going to let me leave my room? So I called a nurse and filled her in, absolutely hysterical. She got permission from her supervisor, and they were going to wheel me to the ER once the ambulance got there with him. It took at least 45 minutes. Meanwhile, I’m in my room praying and screaming that my husband is ok. All kinds of thoughts ran through my head about losing him and how at least I got a lot of pictures of him with Isaiah. Finally they came to get me and I went to the waiting room. My family came to be there with me and we waited almost another hour before I could see him. They just kept telling me that he was in x-ray.

They finally came at about 1 am to bring me back to him. I walked back there and saw my husband, who just hours before was glowing over his son, laying on a bed, his shirt cut open, a neck brace holding him still and IV’s in his arm. He was on a lot of morphine, but was able to talk to me. The doctor came and said it was a broken collar bone, sprained neck and some scrapes. He continued to say that he heard that he’s even lucky to be alive. I got used to hearing that phrase throughout the next few days. This was the second miracle of the day.

My husband stayed with me in my room; they had a great recliner for him. The nurses took care of both of us and we ended up being pretty famous on the floor. All the nurses had to come in and see all “three” patients and hear the story. The next day my sister brought pictures of the car. We were told we weren’t ready to see them. We looked in awe at the pictures. All the damage was right where he had been sitting. He had broken a telephone pole in four places and the car ended up upside down. When we were alone after seeing those pictures, the two of us hugged and sobbed together. I was praying in my head to God, “Thank you Lord! You have saved my husband. I know you have a purpose for us and a lesson to learn.” We talked about what God had in mind for us. We came up with the lessons of not taking anything for granted. The bickering and petty little fights mean nothing. God provides us with everything we need and more. We have a beautiful family and each other all because of Him. He also is using this for our faith and trust in him. We are prideful people and we tend to think that we provide for ourselves, when actually God is in charge. Now that this has happened, and we both will be out of work for awhile, we know that we can’t do it without the grace of God. God will have to have his hand in our lives for our bills and just our everyday living.

The next few days went by and we concentrated on recovering and just enjoying our family. We were both in awe that we were still together and able to raise our children. On the 27th, we decided it was time to go see the car. We had our friend come with us to watch the kids in the car and we headed out to the salvage yard. It was a stormy day and I prayed the whole way there that God would allow a stop in the rain long enough for us to see. We got there, and God did just that. It was just long enough for us to see the door and roof smashed in where my husband was sitting, just long enough to see the whole back window broken and in the back seat where my daughter would have been sitting, and just long enough for emotions to overwhelm us and for us to once again thank God for his presence at the accident to save him.

We then decided to drive to the scene of the accident. It was still relatively dry, so we were able to drive and look for the site. As we were getting to the spot where we thought the accident was, the winds started blowing and the rain poured and turned into hail. I couldn’t see the road and we had to pull over. We never did see the site at that time and decided to try and wait out the storm at the grocery store. My friend had to go home and so we had decided to stop on our way home and try one more time to find it. Well, we did. My husband got out and starting walking in the ditch while I pulled into a close by driveway. As I was doing so, I see a car pull up beside him and they were shaking hands. I got out of our car, and the other car pulled up along side me. I asked who the gentlemen was, and my husband said, “This is the man who saved me.” I was in shock and just stared at him. I was about to cry and the man came over and hugged me. All I could say was thank you, thank you so much. He wanted to see our new baby, because my husband had told him at the accident that his wife had just had a baby. So he peeked in and saw Isaiah. I asked him for his information so we could send him something and he just said he was glad to see my husband was ok. What are the odds of them both being at the scene again?

So once again, God showed his presence that we were able to see the man that saved my husband’s life and thank him for stopping. If he hadn’t stopped, who knows what might have happened. The rain had started up earlier in the day so we didn’t see the site at that time, because God knew what it would mean to us to be able to have that closure of thanking that wonderful man.

So this was my story of my two-miracle day. God gave me a son, and also gave me my husband. My husband was meant to live; there’s a reason he’s here. God wants us to share this testimony with as many people as we can to send his lesson on. Please don’t take your life for granted. We hear God gives us life and he also takes it away. These both almost happened to our family in a matter of hours. Cherish your time with your loved ones and when at times you are upset with someone you love, try to think about your life without them. Is this fight really worth losing time away from loving them? Also, please trust in God. God provides for us even when we don’t feel we deserve it. Don’t be too proud to accept what God has to give you. God gives through others at times, and though it may be hard to receive, just remember that this is from God and He loves you. Take every day as a new day and spend it loving God and your family, not worrying about how you’re going to pay for something. If you spend your time loving God and trusting God, all those other parts of your day will fall in place. And you will be that much happier in the end.




No comments: