I have been asked to further explain why I want to go to
Africa. Since I can’t speak with many of
you in person I thought I would write out my thoughts. I hope you will read this and truly see where
my heart lies.
First I’d
like to say that if you had asked me three or four years ago if I’d be willing
to move even more than a couple hours away from my family, I’d say no way! When I married Jose, my dad often teased him
that he’s never going to take his daughter away to Omaha (where he’s from). I was very much a daddy’s girl, and not only
that but went to all my nieces and nephews events and saw my parents a couple
times a month at least.
So what
changed? In October of 2008, my dad was
diagnosed with prostate cancer. In July
of 2009 he passed away. Watching him go
through the treatments and come to terms with his terminal cancer was an
amazing experience. I lived with my mom
and dad for the last week of his life and helped her care for him around the
clock. It was the hardest thing I have
ever done but I would do it again in a heartbeat. I learned more in those few months then I
expect to for the rest of my life. While
he was sick he expressed what he had wished he had done, his regrets, his proud
moments and what he will miss. My dad
was my world, and I was lost without him.
The
year after Dad died I was in the worst place of my life. I didn’t know how to live without my
dad. I had never made a decision without
talking it through with him first. I was
angry with God for taking him from me.
My dad was a dreamer and always had me dreaming about my life someday
and what I would be doing. Without him I
thought I was stuck.
I don’t remember exactly when it was, but I
finally made it back to church. I don’t
even remember what the sermon was about exactly but I remember the pastor
saying something about how God is my father.
Duh, a concept we’ve been taught since Sunday school. But he went on to say not only is He your
father, but He can be your Dad. You can
talk to Him like you would your Dad and have that relationship. I so desperately wanted my dad back and I
forgot that God, all along, has been there with open arms waiting for me! At that point I broke down crying and it was
then I allowed Him to be my Dad.
Now
that you have this entire back story about how I was broken and then picked up
by God, I can explain where Africa fits in.
Never before, since I became a Christian at age 16, had my relationship
with God been so real. I began to pray
about His plans for my life. Where do I
fit in, what does He want for me? He
began to plant the seed for going overseas.
Of course I said, no, not me.
There must be something else. But
the feeling just would not go away. God
wanted me to teach children in another country about Him. He knew my heart for children, education and
orphans and had a plan. I talked to Jose about it and he did not feel
the same way. He did not feel God
talking to him.
I just
kept praying about it. The feeling never
left but I figured it would never be if Jose was not called. I quit the home daycare and began working at
the YWCA. Jose was unemployed for a year
and got a job in St. Louis Park doing data processing. We sold our house, moved closer to the city in
an apartment; all along, not realizing that God had a plan. One day Jose and I were talking and the
subject of going overseas came up and he said he had been feeling a tug. I took that tug and ran with it! I put my resume on an online website for teachers
who want to go overseas. I began getting
emails from schools. After talking to a
couple schools I had an interview with Bingham over the phone. It felt perfect! I felt God’s hand guiding me along. Jose and I looked back at our almost 11 years
of marriage and can see how He had been preparing us all along.
Most
people take a year or more to prepare for going overseas. We are on the fast track. From interview with Bingham, to Teach Beyond
acceptance, to fundraising; it was within a few months! But now we are getting close to leaving. We have just over two months before we are
supposed to be in Addis working with Bingham.
We are trusting that God knows what He is doing and selling all our
possessions. We are not renewing our
lease and jumping full in.
This is
where you come in. If you have made it through
this long testimony you are just the person we need on our team! We need prayer warriors to support us. We need financial supporters as well to allow
us to do God’s work. Without people
like you, these children at Bingham will never have the chance to know what it’s
like to be around the Sturgeon’s! J Of course, I’m kidding about that, but we
truly do believe we are meant for these jobs at Bingham and would love to have
our friends and family behind us!
The
kids will get to experience a developing country and share God’s love in their
own way. They will also get to experience
learning from other Godly teachers at Bingham as students. I am so excited for the opportunity for
them. I will get to teach Kindergarten as well as
share God’s word with children! Jose
will get to plan sporting activities and work with local youth from Addis. You can be part of these great things God has
planned! If you’re interested in knowing
more, please message or email me or Jose.
We are willing to travel to see you, speak on the phone or whatever’s
easiest. Thank you for all your support!
Love - Jesi
No comments:
Post a Comment