Alright so since we moved to our house over 3 years ago, we talked of getting a dog. We're both animal lovers, but knew that puppies are work, so we waited. I started researching breeds a little over a year ago and fell in love with the King Charles Cavalier Spaniel breed. After contacting many breeders, I realized the average cost is like $1500, most were $2000. So again, we decided to wait. We talk every now and then and look again, but just could never justify that amount of money. So I began getting the "itch" again and started looking around. I decided maybe I need to not have such expensive taste and began looking at hybrid dogs - mixed breeds, but not muts. We came across a breeder in Eden Valley, MN - about 40 minutes from here that had numerous toy sized dogs. That was a necessity of mine and Jose's that it was a small dog - since we like them and our kids are terrified of bigger dogs. I fell in love with a Havapoo - Havenese Poodle mix. Cutest little thing ever. And there were a few others that were pretty dang cute too. So last night we went out to the breeder and he had a select few there for us to look at. I attached to my Havapoo right away, but Jose took to the little guy hovering in the corner. The other 3 were yipping, playing and running all over and this little guy was over on the side just shaking. The owner said it was his first time out on the floor - where they sell them - he had only been in the play yard and kennels before. We discussed for awhile, talked with the owner about the breeds, etc and decided to buy the Cavapoo that was just so cute and shy in the corner. He's a Cavalier spaniel mixed with poodle. So I got my dream dog, but he was like 1/3 of the cost! And the poodle in him makes him a light to none shedder - which because I'm terribly allergic to dogs and cats (yes I know doesn't make sense - I love them enough that I just take drugs) was a plus to me. He will get from 12-18 pounds full grown. So we are now puppy owners! I of course have been researching crate training, proper walking technique and other puppy training necessity since I am a perfectionist that way. He came with health gaurentees but we will be taking him to the vet soon - still needs to get neutered too. He's a special little guy and the kids love him. Jose spent the night on the floor next to the crate as he whines if left in there right now - it's a process so I read. He had a few accidents but has made it outside most of today. He makes me smile on a minute by minute basis and I love the snuggles. So without further ado...meet Toby...

Kids with Toby at the breeders

Toby

Toby
No comments:
Post a Comment